Installing Modx 3.0 alpha-2

Summary

Installation from 2.8.3 to 3.0 alpha-2 failed.

Step to reproduce

I used the Upgrade modx widget to upgrade. Prechecks looked good. After initial installation dialogue I clicked next, the next step came up with no information, I clicked continue and finished the install. No errors, but when I logged in, the css was missing, so I manually cleared the cache, which fixed that, then logged in normally.

The resource tree was missing and error messages on right side. The elements and files tabs seem to be working fine.

TypeError: Argument 2 passed to modDashboardWidgetBackupModx::__construct() must be an instance of modDashboardWidget, object given, called in /home1/xxxxxxxx/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/modDashboardWidget.php on line 90

Errors:

• modDashboardWidgetBackupModx->__construct(object, object, object)
  • MODX\Revolution\modDashboardWidget->getContent(object)
  • MODX\Revolution\modDashboard->render(object, object)
  • WelcomeManagerController->process(Array ( ) )
  • MODX\Revolution\modManagerController->render()
  • MODX\Revolution\modManagerResponse->outputContent(Array ( ) )
  • MODX\Revolution\modManagerRequest->prepareResponse()
  • MODX\Revolution\modManagerRequest->handleRequest()

The modx error log has this:

[2022-02-03 14:05:20] (ERROR @ /home1/xxxxxxxx/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php : 2) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/xxxxxxxx/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

The server error log has a bunch of these:

client denied by server configuration: /home1/xxxxxxxx/public_html/base-install/core/docs/changelog.txt
File does not exist: /home1/xxxxxxxx/public_html/index.php

This installation is one of several on this shared hosting server and is in a sub-folder not the root folder.

I’ve asked the hosting to restore my entire account to before I started this so I’m not going to try to repair this, but would like some guidance on how to try again.

I have another installation on this same server with very little installed only a couple of extras, two resources where I successfully upgraded from the same version. So I suppose this means it’s related to the extras?

Environment

Modx 2.8.3 to 3.0 alpha-2

Server Info:
cpsrvd 11.94.0.21
Database client version: libmysql - 5.6.43
PHP version: 7.3.32

Just out of curiosity:
Why are you updating to 3.0 alpha-2 (which is a two years old alpha version), when there are much more current MODX 3 versions available (e.g. 3.0.0-rc2 released today)?

Doh! (head slap). I totally did.

I just picked the version in the installer without looking closely. Ugh.

When my hosting restores my account, I’ll try to pay more attention this time.

Thank you!

1 Like

Terry, are you using Chrome by any chance?

I had a similar experience, but when I visited the upgraded site in Incognito mode, all the problems in the Manager went away.

I tried again with the Chrome Cache Killer extra enabled and no problems showed up.

You’ll want to update Collections to 4.0.0-alpha2 after updating MODX to rc2 to get that fixed.

Thanks Mark!

Bob, I tried incognito, clearing the browser cache and manually clearing the Modx clache. No effect. In any event, I’m just having my entire account restored from a backup so I can try this again with the proper version.

Thanks.

OK, I got my site restored back to 2.8.3 and successfully upgraded to 3.0.0-rc2.

All looks good so far except for some extras that are no longer installed–Blogit, Databackup and xFPC appear to be no longer supported. If that’s true, no big deal here, this is a personal testing/sandbox site I use.

However, MIGX shows an Update button with an installed date of 2-9-22. When I try to update it says:

An error occurred while connecting to the Provider: No Package release found.

I see that if I search for this in the extras download, it is available.

Also, Collections is uninstalled with an Install button and version number of 4.0.0-alpha2. When I tried to install it, it started through the process then stalled with this error:

PHP warning: require_once(/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

I’ve manually cleared the Modx cache and the browser cache after each attempt. I’ve tried it with incognito as well.

Thanks.

you can try, if this version works for you
MIGX/migx-3.0.0-alpha5.transport.zip at master · Bruno17/MIGX (github.com)

Bruno

Thanks! I can definitely try that. However, I’d prefer if the installer could find the update via the provider.

An error occurred while connecting to the Provider: No Package release found.

I see that’s it’s available if I search for a new download, but the installer doesn’t seem to see it.

there is currently no MIGX version on the Repository, which is instalable/working on MODX 3

Bruno

OK, cool. I was looking for a list of supported extras to check that out but couldn’t find one. As mentioned, this is not a production site so I can just wait for it.

It would be kind a cool if the response indicated if a particular installed extra is not longer supported or if a new version is coming soon or not yet available.

Thanks for your help!

OK, Day two after an apparently successful upgrade to 3.0.0-rc2. Yesterday was all good. I’ve manually cleared the cache and used an incognito browser this morning.

Today, I’m seeing two issues.

One.

I’m getting this on the dashboard. Plus the installer page in Modx is not loading just displaying a spinner (checking for package updates).

Might this be related to the installer not finding providers (see previous post)?

TypeError: count(): Argument #1 ($value) must be of type Countable|array, string given

Errors:

• count(string “provider_err_connect”)
  • MODX\Revolution\Processors\Workspace\Packages\GetList->checkForUpdates(object, Array ( ) )
  • modDashboardWidgetUpdates->render()
  • MODX\Revolution\modDashboardWidgetInterface->process()
  • MODX\Revolution\modDashboardWidget->getContent(object)
  • MODX\Revolution\modDashboard->render(object, object)
  • WelcomeManagerController->process(Array ( ) )
  • MODX\Revolution\modManagerController->render()
  • MODX\Revolution\modManagerResponse->outputContent(Array ( ) )
  • MODX\Revolution\modManagerRequest->prepareResponse()
  • MODX\Revolution\modManagerRequest->handleRequest()

Two.

The Modx error log has these. One of which seems related to collections which I attempted to upgrade yesterday but resulted in errors (see above for upgrade errors). I’m happy to delete collections if needed (although I’ll need some direction on how)

Today’s Modx Error log.

11.02.2022 08:21:42 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/vendor/xpdo/xpdo/src/xPDO/xPDO.php 472
Path specified for package collections is not a valid or accessible directory: /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/src/model/
11.02.2022 08:21:44 ERROR MODX\Revolution\Transport\modTransportProvider::latest /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Transport/modTransportProvider.php 264
Could not load updates for blogit-1.2.0-pl: No Package release found.
11.02.2022 08:21:44 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php 2
PHP warning: require_once(/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory
11.02.2022 08:21:59 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/vendor/xpdo/xpdo/src/xPDO/xPDO.php 472
Path specified for package collections is not a valid or accessible directory: /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/src/model/
11.02.2022 08:22:00 ERROR MODX\Revolution\Transport\modTransportProvider::latest /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Transport/modTransportProvider.php 264
Could not load updates for blogit-1.2.0-pl: No Package release found.
11.02.2022 08:22:00 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/modManagerResponse.php 158
PHP warning: Undefined array key “class”
11.02.2022 08:22:00 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/modManagerResponse.php 158
PHP warning: Undefined array key “type”
11.02.2022 08:22:02 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php 2
PHP warning: require_once(/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory
11.02.2022 08:22:02 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/modX.php 1784
Unable to load processor for action “workspace/packages/getlist”, it does not exist as an autoloadable class that extends \MODX\Revolution\Processors\Processor, and also not as a file in “/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Processors/workspace/packages/getlist.class.php”

Thanks for your help.

There is a helpful list at SiteDash, though it’s not complete or up-to-date.

Thanks Bob!

I thought I’d seen a list somewhere.

We do update it regularly when people submit corrections or upgrading a site shows some extras do/do not work :wink:

Any thoughts on the errors showing on my dashboard?

@markh I didn’t mean to dis the site. It’s very helpful and will become more so. For my own extras, the fault is mine for not having time to test and report them there.

@terrybarth What version of PHP are you running?

My first suggestion is to disable the two news feeds on the dashboard. (Go to System Settings and put feed in the search box, disable them, then clear the cache).

If that doesn’t help, I’d suggest removing your Dashboard widgets (don’t delete them, just remove them from your dashboard). Then you can add them back one at a time and see what’s trashing things.

Look in the modx_transport_providers table in the DB. The name should be modx.com and the service_url should be https://rest.modx.com/extras/ Be sure the id of modx.com is 1, if not make a note of it.

In the modx_transport_packages table, the provider field should be 1, or that ID you made a note of, for any packages from the MODX repo.

For packages installed locally (with “Search Locally for Packages”) it should be 0.

Thanks Bob.

PHP Version 8.0.15

I removed the news feeds and the update status from the dashboard and the errors no longer appeared. I added them back to the dashboard and no errors appeared. Hmmm.

However, the extras installer page is still not loading. It just spins. The Modx error log has this:

12.02.2022 08:43:51 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/vendor/xpdo/xpdo/src/xPDO/xPDO.php 472
12.02.2022 08:43:53 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php 2
12.02.2022 08:43:54 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/modX.php 1784
Unable to load processor for action “workspace/packages/getlist”, it does not exist as an autoloadable class that extends \MODX\Revolution\Processors\Processor, and also not as a file in “/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Processors/workspace/packages/getlist.class.php”

Oh and I just noticed the resource tree is missing. The little triangle to expand/collapse the tree appears for a second, then dispappears. The elements and files tabs seem OK.

Did you check the transport database tables as suggested above?

Bob, I just checked both tables, they are correct.