Installing Modx 3.0 alpha-2

The tree stuff could be from Collections, because it alters the tree, though you probably can’t update Collections to 4.0.0-alpha2 until Package Manager is OK.

I assume you’ve tried manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory.

Can you try force clearing your browser cache? Sounds like some old javascript may still be loaded.

Yes, I have cleared the cache manually and force cleared the browser cache. I’ve also tried an incognito window and a different browser.

If collections is the problem, can I remove collections manually?

Have you tried disabling all plugins?

Bob

I just disabled them all, cleared the modx cache, forced cleared browser cache, incognito browser and manually deleted the core cache.

No change.

Try turning on Dev. Tools (Ctrl-shift-i) and watching the Network tab on any problem pages. Issues should appear in red.

Also, check the Console tab for any JS errors.

Bob, here’s what I see for the dashboard with the missing resource tree. Plugins are still disabled.

The network tab shows no errors.

The console has just one line.

ext-base.js:21 POST https://tbdsandbox.com/base-install/connectors/index.php?action=Resource/GetNodes&id=web_0&type=MODX\Revolution\modContext 500

If I expand that there are several dozen lines like this:

i @ ext-base.js:21
request @ ext-base.js:21
request @ ext-all.js:21
requestData @ ext-all.js:21
load @ ext-all.js:21
expand @ ext-all.js:21
o @ ext-all.js:21
runCallback @ ext-all.js:21
expandPath @ ext-all.js:21
_initExpand @ modx.tree.resource.js?mv=300rc2:64
v @ ext-all.js:21
fire @ ext-all.js:21

On the extras installer page:

No errors on the network tab

Console had Two lines:

POST https://tbdsandbox.com/base-install/connectors/index.php 500
ext-base.js:21
POST https://tbdsandbox.com/base-install/connectors/index.php?action=Resource/GetNodes&id=web_0&type=MODX\Revolution\modContext 500

The Modx error log has this:

[2022-02-15 07:49:02] (ERROR @ /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php : 2) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[2022-02-15 07:49:22] (ERROR in MODX\Revolution\Transport\modTransportProvider::latest @ /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Transport/modTransportProvider.php : 264) Could not load updates for blogit-1.2.0-pl: No Package release found.
[2022-02-15 07:49:22] (ERROR @ /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php : 2) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[2022-02-15 07:49:31] (ERROR @ /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php : 2) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[2022-02-15 07:49:58] (ERROR @ /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php : 2) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[2022-02-15 07:49:59] (ERROR @ /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/modX.php : 1784) Unable to load processor for action “workspace/packages/getlist”, it does not exist as an autoloadable class that extends \MODX\Revolution\Processors\Processor, and also not as a file in “/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Processors/workspace/packages/getlist.class.php”
[2022-02-15 07:53:28] (ERROR in MODX\Revolution\Transport\modTransportProvider::latest @ /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Transport/modTransportProvider.php : 264) Could not load updates for blogit-1.2.0-pl: No Package release found.
[2022-02-15 07:53:28] (ERROR @ /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/components/collections/model/collections/collectioncontainer.class.php : 2) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory

The error log shows a problem with the “require” lines in Collections. You could try to upgrade Collections manually or try commenting out those lines. I’m having a very similar problem with Articles. Commenting out the "require"s got my Resource tree back, (though Articles still doesn’t work).

So I don’t really need collections on this sandbox site. I tried to upgrade it early on before the installer stopped, but it failed with errors. So I suspect a standard upgrade would not work.

Can I manually uninstall it?

I just commented out those require statements in collections and the resource tree is back.

Installer still not.

At this point when I clear the modx error log and go to the dashboard, this appears in the error log.

15.02.2022 12:25:19 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/modX.php 1784
Unable to load processor for action “workspace/packages/getlist”, it does not exist as an autoloadable class that extends \MODX\Revolution\Processors\Processor, and also not as a file in “/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Processors/workspace/packages/getlist.class.php”

If I clear the error log again and go to the extras installer this appears in the error log.

15.02.2022 12:27:44 ERROR MODX\Revolution\Transport\modTransportProvider::latest /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Transport/modTransportProvider.php 264
Could not load updates for blogit-1.2.0-pl: No Package release found.

There appears to be a transport package here:

public_html/base-install/core/packages/blogit-1.2.0-pl

Removing Collections is tricky without Manager Access. I don’t use Collections, so take this all with a large grain of salt.

IIRC, Collections sets the show_in_tree field of its resources to 0, so those resources will still exist, but won’t show in the tree and can’t easily be deleted.

You can delete all the files in core/components/collections and assets/components/collections, then remove all elements in the collections category and any resources it creates.

That should prevent the some of the errors your seeing, but the Collections references will still be in the DB in the modx_transport_packages table (one record for each version you’ve ever installed). If the files are still in core/packages, that might not cause any trouble.

BTW, We have similar problems, so I’m guessing you may have copied a working site to a subdirectory like yourdomain/sandbox, with a subdomain like sandbox.yourdomain.com, and upgraded it to MODX 3 like I did.

Some things I had to re-learn:

• It’s very easy to get the actual DB name wrong in one part of config.inc.php and right in another.

• It’s very easy to get other parts of config.inc.php wrong as well, and the site will often almost work.

• If the site is in a subdirectory and you set it up as a subdomain with your host, you’re rewrite base in .htaccess will still be ‘/’. I forgot about setting up the subdomain with the host, so I had to use the directory name in the rewrite base line to make things work. Once I set up the subdirectory with the host, that broke some stuff in the Manager (e.g., I couldn’t edit System Settings).

• If the subdomain is set up, the URLS (not the paths) in config.inc.php will be just the directory: ‘connectors’, ‘manager’, ‘assets’, etc. – without the subdirectory name.

• I didn’t forget this, but you need to modify the config.core.php files in the site root, manager, and connectors directories. I used the full path as shown in cPanel’s File Manager, e.g., /home/username/public_html/directoryname/core/

Hope this helps.

I still can’t get Package Manager to work. It shows the packages I have, knows about updated versions, and appears to download new versions. They are in the core/packages directory, but Package Manager can’t find them. It looks like it’s looking in the wrong place for them.

Actually, this is an old site that has been running in a folder for many years. I simply upgraded it in place.

If removing collections is problematic, I can wait until the installer page is working, then use the remove function there.

Did you see the errors I posted about not finding getlist?

Unable to load processor for action “workspace/packages/getlist”, it does not exist as an autoloadable class that extends \MODX\Revolution\Processors\Processor, and also not as a file in “/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Processors/workspace/packages/getlist.class.php”

Check the path in the modx_workspaces table. It should be the core path, e.g.:

/home/username/public_html/directory/core/

I don’t think it was used in MODX 2, but it definitely affects Package Manager in MODX 3.

Bob

The workspace table in the DB contains this: {core_path}

This is in the core/config/config.inc.php

if (!defined(‘MODX_CORE_PATH’)) {
$modx_core_path= ‘/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/’;
define(‘MODX_CORE_PATH’, $modx_core_path);

base-install is the folder where this is installed.

You might try replacing the value in the workspaces table with /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/ in case MODX 3 is not parsing the tag. That DB value will definitely cause trouble in Package Manager if it’s wrong. There’s probably a reason why mine has the value hard-coded.

Bob

I hard coded the path in the DB. The installer still is not working, seem hung up on blogit (at least that’s what’s in the error log)

17.02.2022 10:07:58 ERROR MODX\Revolution\Transport\modTransportProvider::latest /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Transport/modTransportProvider.php 264
Could not load updates for blogit-1.2.0-pl: No Package release found.
17.02.2022 10:08:34 ERROR /home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/modX.php 1784

I’m not sure if this matters but I don’t see this file on the server:

/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Processors/workspace/packages/getlist.class.php

I just changed the php version on my server from 8.0 to 7.4 and the installer came back.

I just cleared the modx cache, cleared the browser cache and tried to update Blogit and Databackup but got this error, which I saw earlier.

An error occurred while connecting to the Provider: No Package release found.

2022-02-17_13-11-26

I was able to successfully update tinymce, but didn’t try collections.

I’m thinking I could use the installer to “remove” it?

So right now there are three extras that say there is no provider.

Blogit
Databackup
xFPC

Are those three packages available at modx.com/extras?
Is it possible that you loaded them locally and did “search locally for packages” ? that would explain the missing provider.

This is wrong:

/home1/terrybar/public_html/base-install/core/src/Revolution/Processors/workspace/packages/getlist.class.php

The name of the class in MODX 3 is GetList.php not getlist.class.php, so something is trying to load a MODX 2 processor class. MODX 3 corrects the path, but not the filename.