Which is the best way to upgrade modx

Hello
I need to upgrade the Core from 2.8.1 to 2.8.3
I noticed a UphradeModx extension from Bob ( UpgradeMODX 2.1.5-pl)

Is enough to use it (additionally to backup the DB and the core)?

Or should I dowload the MODX 2.8.3 and replace the setup folder. I am not very sure to how to do it.

Cheers

Hey @pierrot10

You should find instructions for a manual update here: Upgrading MODX - Maintenance | MODX Documentation

I’ve not used the @bobray UpgradeMODX extra but his extras are usually excellent.

Other automated options are the brilliant SiteDash … and if your host has software management features such as Softaculous, you can import your installation and upgrade from there. I find both of these methods extremely reliable and both will backup database and files.

Good luck,

Chris

UpgradeMODX does not back up the site, but otherwise it is very reliable and convenient.

1 Like

Hello
Does UpgradeMODX works for upgrade from 2.8.4 to 3.x?
I just upgrade to 2.8.4 and it’s telling me

MODX est Ă  jour

Version Courante: 2.8.4-pl
Dernière Version: 2.8.4-pl

For me, it’s still not clear how to do that.

Should I download the latest version, upload the setup folder of the version 3.0.1 and run www.mysite.ch/setup?

(Of course, before, backup the file and the DB)

[EDIT]
Or could I copy

ll modx-3.0.1-pl

drwxrwxr-x@ 9 pierrot staff 288 Apr 28 10:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 pierrot admin 320 Oct 26 03:49 …
-rw-rw-r–@ 1 pierrot staff 292 Apr 28 10:20 config.core.php
drwxrwxr-x@ 7 pierrot staff 224 Apr 28 10:20 connectors
drwxrwxr-x@ 15 pierrot staff 480 Apr 28 10:20 core
-rw-rw-r–@ 1 pierrot staff 2058 Apr 28 10:19 ht.access
-rw-rw-r–@ 1 pierrot staff 2130 Apr 28 10:19 index.php
drwxrwxr-x@ 9 pierrot staff 288 Apr 28 10:20 manager
drwxrwxr-x@ 15 pierrot staff 480 Apr 28 10:20 setup

and overwrite my installation
then upload the files and run the setup/

I don’t know if anyone has tried it, but I’m fairly confident that UpgradeMODX will work to upgrade from MODX 2.8.4 to MODX 3.0.0, and then on to MODX 3.0.x (it’s important not to skip 3.0.0).

UGM definitely works to upgrade from 2.8.3 - 3.0.0.

Just install it on the 2.8.4 site, change the ugm_show_modx3 System Setting to “Yes,” and launch UGM from the dashboard. Then install it on the 3.0.0 site and launch it again. Clear the cache and your browser cache if you see problems after an upgrade.

Important: the core directory must be under the web root for MODX 3 (nothing to do with UGM – just a requirement for MODX 3). If you need to move the core directory back under the web root. Test thoroughly to make sure the manager and front end are working before doing the upgrade.

Be sure to back up the site before your upgrades.