Using NAS for hosting websites

Hi,

My question:
Can you properly host a MODX website (or any web application in general) on a Synology NAS? And if not, what are the concerns/risks as why the answer would be no?

Why the question?
For my brother in law I am basically looking into whether or not it is a good idea to host any kind of web application on a Synology NAS at home. And I am looking into building him a modx website, but I want to be sure whether or not the idea of hosting it on a NAS is viable.

Extra info regarding the NAS environment:
My brother in law is a IT Engineer (setting up internal IT services etc. for companies that they have as clients), so he uses all kinds of security layers on his home network as well as different networks to separate their own personal use, business use as well as guests. He also has active and passive monitoring tools etc… So this should not be read as a ''standard home set-up" when answering my question.

Type of NAS:
RS814+

This thread maybe closed and ignored unless others could find this type of info useful.
My brother in law and I have decided to go for a proper server set-up and are now looking into getting this done.

It really depends on what NAS version you are using, but in general, it kinda feels like the wrong approach, as far as I understand network attached storage is for that, storage, and although a website needs storage, is not the core of its working, unless of course you are just doing plain JAM sites, but in MODX you’ll need PHP running, having said that, one option would be to run docker inside your NAS, of finding a way to directly install PHP + dependencies directly, but again, it feels like the deployment its going to be more complicated than the site building itself

Hi @camicase82 ,

Yeah, we basically found that same conclusion. Not to mention non-flexibility on the server itself.

So in our specific case we went and bought ourselves a nice barely used Dell Poweredge R720 with 10gbps capabilities 2x E5-2695v2 12-core CPU 128gb RAM and some other fancy networking hardware options that my brother in law understands haha. Way to overpowered for our initial use, but that gives us room to grow into it.

This way we can properly install and manage the server in a way we know how to properly (him being a hosting engineer) and myself software related.

Thank you for answering though, it might help others find this out quicker for themselves than the route I have taken.

Have a good one!

This thread can be closed.

1 Like