I’m having issues again, I just never updated this. Shortly after I had this working, I did something else. You’re giving me the idea that perhaps it is a permission issue, which could likely be the case.
For your Access Policy, perhaps investigate some of the settings in there, I just fixed a issue where content editors couldn’t create a new document, and i fixed that by going through the settings in
ACL->Access Policies->Right click on policy in question (mine was a custom one, Loan Officer)
I read through the things I could edit there and my content editor/loan officers could now create new documents, save them, and publish/unpublish them. Perhaps rooting around in that area will net some success