Updating 2.6.5-pl to 2.7.1-pl gives PHP Parse error in config.inc.php

Hello, first time poster here.

So today i was doing a test-run to update my much loved 2.6.5 installation to 2.7.1 but it gave me some trouble.

2.6.5 is running flawless and like a charm, no a single error to find in the logs.

What i did on my development server (all form ssh bash):

• backend: clear cache, logout all users
  • Full Backup of current Modx-installation.
  • Full Dump of the Database.
  • WGET modx-2.7.1-pl-advanced.zip
  • unzip and "cp -rf " core an setup to the appropriate locations. (did an extra .bak for ./core/config/config.inc.php)
  • run setup using chromeā€™s incognito-mode
  • specified the core-location
  • Upgrade Existing Install (no other ticks)
  • Next - everythingā€™s fine and green.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ā€˜{ā€™ in /var/www/web2048/html/core/config/config.inc.php on line 92

Line 92 Reads:

if (!defined('MODX_CACHE_DISABLED')) {
$modx_cache_disabled= {cache_disabled};
define('MODX_CACHE_DISABLED', $modx_cache_disabled);
}

soā€¦ before the line 92 was:

$modx_cache_disabled= false;

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Looks like the configuration file got corrupted in the upgrade. That occasionally happens (potentially connected to going back a step in the installation causing some installation info to get lost) and has an issue on GitHub.

Simplest fix is to restore the configuration file (just core/config/config.inc.php) from the backup.

It canā€™t hurt to run the setup again after that, to make sure that upgraded correctly, but if the setup results were all green that probably isnā€™t necessary.

1 Like

hi mark, i already did that, i also did a full restore and used 2.7.0-pl but itā€™s always the same result. :thinking:

And youā€™re 100% sure you restored the right file? I see you used the advanced distro but the error message mentions /html/core/config/ which seems like a standard path, perhaps some directories got mixed up along the way in one of the config.core.php files or installation.

jup
/var/www/web2048/html/core/config/config.inc.php
Document Root is:
/var/www/web2048/html/webroot/

Do you think it helps if i disable ā€œcachingā€ in the manager system settings?

Disabling caching in the settings is something I never recommend. Emptying core/cache/ is safe to try though.

Error message hasnā€™t changed?

Ok, i did that.
rm -fr /var/www/web2048/html/core/cache/*
Error stays the same:
Parse error : syntax error, unexpected ā€˜{ā€™ in /var/www/web2048/html/core/config/config.inc.php on line 92

It happens right when i hit ā€œInstallā€ā€¦ when i ā€œtail -n10ā€ the config.inc.php right before i hit ā€œinstallā€, it is still OK.

Before an edit, your post refered to an error with a path of web1190 rather than web2048, which would support my suspicion that there might be a path mix up going on?

youā€™re good, i sorry but it was just a typoā€¦ :confused:

at the moment i try to strip down the installations extras bit by bitā€¦ bur no change so far.

Seems that it has something to do with:
./html/webroot/setup/includes/upgrades/common/2.7-remove-cache-disabled.php

<?php
    /**
     * Common upgrade script for removing cache_disabled System Setting
     * @var modX $modx
     * @package setup
     */
    $modx->removeObject('modSystemSetting', array('key' => 'cache_disabled'));

I doubt that migration is the cause, but I would be interested to hear how you arrived at that conclusion.

All signs youā€™ve posted still point to the right config file not having been restored to a pre-corrupted state. Whatā€™s on line 92 of the config file mentioned? (*please be careful about not posting actual configuration.)

Iā€™m sorry for the late reply, but iā€™m out of Office for the Weekend.

Line 92 before i hit ā€œinstallā€ (original state of my backup):
$modx_cache_disabled= false;
Line 92 the very moment i hit ā€œinstallā€:
$modx_cache_disabled= {cache_disabled};

So i assume that at some point of the migration process, the replacement of the placeholder ā€œ{cache_disabled}ā€ with the value ā€œfalseā€, what is actually the configured value in the systemsettings, fails and PHP throws the Parse error.

As a Sidenote: web1190 is another of about 10 different modx,joomla,contao and typo development installations on that server, but in the present case there is no path mixing or something like that, i can assure you that all the different installations are very well separated.

You might try setting the ā€˜settings_versionā€™ System Setting back to an earlier version and ā€œupgradingā€ to 2.7.1 with the UpgradeMODX extra. That will give you all new MODX files and will clear the cache during the upgrade.

1 Like

Hello Bob, and thank you for your EXTRA, it worked right away, even without the change to the ā€œsettings_versionā€.

Although I followed the upgrade instructions exactly and also studied the extended troubleshooting, I could not pull off the upgrade via ssh.
I must have overlooked something?
Anyway, many thanks to @markh and @bobray for helping me to solve the problem.

Iā€™m glad you got it sorted. I donā€™t know why the ssh solution didnā€™t work for you, but TBH, Iā€™ve never done it that way.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.