TinyMCE 2.0.1 Emoticon support?

Hi,

Upgraded to the latest version of Tiny MCE for our MODX site, primarily to get the Emoticon support.

However, I’m running into a problem where I can use the various insert methods and get the emoji to show up in the content box, but it gets replaced by ???? on the HTML page, as well as when I reload the resource page in the Manager.

Are the emoticons feature supported in this version? If so, there’s likely a configuration step I’m missing in the system or property settings. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

What is the Character Set of your database? Maybe you have a charset that can’t save the values necessary for Emoticons.

First thing I checked. (This site has been up a looong time.) UTF-8

What MySQL calls “utf8” only stores a maximum of three bytes per code point.
You probably have to change it to “utf8mb4”.

Thanks. Let me try that on the weekend when I have fewer editors logged into the site.
I did a little more digging in PHP MyAdmin and see that some of the tables have non-typical collations, like “latin1-swedish-ci”. So some cleanup may be in order.
Anyway, you’re definitely on to something. While in phpMyAdmin I tried to update a page resource by pasting an emoji into the actual content field of the record and get the following error:

1 row affected. Warning: #1366 Incorrect string value:
l\xF0\x9F\x99\x8B</…’ for column ‘content’ at row 1

Thanks again!

You definitely need an utf8mb database/table charset for this.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after discussion ended and a solution was marked. New replies are no longer allowed. You can open a new topic by clicking the link icon below the original post or solution and selecting “+ New Topic”.