Recaptcha in contact pages

Well, again you’ve upgraded, because things were a bit broken. For an experienced developer, this is certainly a few hours work max.

For @vibedesign s code, first paste it into a simple html structure, then if it works paste it as I said into the content section of a copied standard website template from the site. Then you can style more if needed, it will match the site, and you can implement it. Then, if you want to get fancy, take that same piece of code, put it into a chunk, and call the chunk in the template.

The behavior will be exactly the same.

Chunks are pieces of code, I guess any code can go in there. They are handy for example to hold your header, so that you can go right to that code really easily, and change it on multiple templates.

Like contact details could be in chunks, easy to get at and change, and also you can deliver the chunks you want, might have a quick location checker and deliver local info. Or head contents, which need to be updated sitewide. Keep in mind some sites will have multiple banners, footers, everything

Snippets are more the tools, its easy to make a snippet to get all the products and sort or search them for something, or users or whatever data you want.

Good morning.
Right got you. Yes makes sense… I can see the fluidity of it and certainly makes sense.
Yes the good thing is a significant upgrade! When I first got into the site I knew we had an issue immediately with out of date software.

I’m late to this party, but have a couple of comments:

1. The UpgradeMODX extra makes it a lot easier and more reliable to upgrade MODX.
  2. The SPForm extra installs a spam-proof contact form and is quite simple to install (it usually works out of the box). I use it at Bob’s Guides and get no spam at all without using any form of Captcha. It has a number of spam-proofing options (including traditional Captcha with the math option).

Hi!
Aha I did see that SPForm when initially doing some digging two weeks ago. But, didn’t think we could apply it as the forms seemed totally different to what we had? Now I know however, that it’s because they were using obsolete code.
So I will have a look, thank you.
I can make a contact page pretty easily, but understanding the work flow on Modx is the culture shock more than anything I think. Learning curve. Thank you for that, will take a peek. :slight_smile:

To be a little more precise, chunks are used for general HTML code (and scripts, etc.). Like @nuan88 mentioned you want to use those for elements on your site which occur in several templates (like a navigation, head-section, footer, etc.) so you have one place to update them on all sites.

Snippets are used the same way, but are made for processing PHP code.

Aha okay makes perfect sense. I can understand that. Jigsaw pieces are coming together. I think towards the end of last night, I’d been at it so long, I’d started to confuse myself - even over basic stuff.

1 Like

Make sure to check the Tutorial Section, where @lkfranklin made (and still is making) great videos covering the basics like this one:

1 Like

Thank you for the link! I appreciate it. Indeed, I found one of their video tutorials a few days ago, which was really intuitive, purely from Googling for solutions… Will see what more is there. Thank you again!
Been a very busy day so far so not had chance to get on this yet, but about to make a start. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again,
Silly question but is there an area for posts about the SPForm extra?
I did a site search and it shows me this thread but nothing more.

Reason being, I have it installed and I’ve customised it, but when sending emails I get a weird error - "
Error: The captcha plugin must be installed to use captcha in spform." I have reinstalled it 3-4 times now.
Will keep trying and searching at the same time. I know it’s not the right thread, but I can’t find any more info about it aside from what is on here?
Many thanks in advance.

I may try to set up recaptcha again on the current page. This is now becoming very frustrating.

No, there are no more topics for each specific extra on these new forums.

Just create new topics whenever a different question comes up; this spform question does seem like a new problem from the rest of the thread.

1 Like

Hi @markh Okay thank you.
I’ve now managed to get the maths anit-spam working, so now more of a styling and customisation situation (for sent mail, contact page et al) really.
Oh and the error message means you need this extra as well as SPForm;
https://modx.com/extras/package/captcha
FTR; I have again tried to get it going but to no avail so obviously that FormitBuilder is too obsolete.
Thanks again.

Did you get the CC working?

1 Like

Hi Bob,
Unfortunately as of yet no.
I have entered the email in snippet > mailalso but nothing happens.

The rest (in this thread) I am still working on as we speak. :slight_smile: