PDF documentation/tutorial of MODX

Hello everybody!
I found somewhere in the web (don’t know, where it was) a PDF documentation from june 2010 named “dokumen.site_modx-revolution-docs-20101007.pdf”. It has mostly everything written which is important to know about MODX. Inside is also a download link to the subdomain “assets.modxcms.com/…” which is not longer busy. Therefore my question: Is there a newer version of this document available - and if so - where?
Thanks in advance for your reply - yours: ejomi.

I have two, one that I found on the web years ago by the Department of Internet Ministries, then our company one that we’ve updated and stripped down for users.

company one: https://www.inside-creative.com/assets/manuals/modx/MODx_Manual-User-edition.pdf
original: https://www.inside-creative.com/assets/manuals/modx/MODx_Manual.pdf

Wow - a sacred document!

Thanks a lot for your quick answer - I’ve downloaded both versions and will have to see the difference.
Anyway: I think it’s shameful, that the MODX-Community doesn’t serve an actual documentation, downloadable for everybody. Sometimes I have the feeling, that MODX doesn’t want to be too much popular. Especially in Germany only few seem to know that there is this crazy “MODX”. Mostly everyone in my circle swears by “Joomla” or even worse by “Wordpress” - it’s tragic. On my part I tinkered for nealy 2 years with “Typo3” until I discovered by accident a few months ago this fantastic “MODX”- why not earlier?
The german website of MODX just directs you to the original english sites (including forum). I’m still looking for active MODX-nerds somewhere in my region - the only publishings I found are mostly outdated or not longer maintained and - of course - mostly in englisch. Sad situation here!
Greetings from Dresden (Saxonia): ejomi

Why do you want a download? The docs site at docs.modx.com has just been completely rebuilt.

There’s also plenty of German folks here in the forums (me included) if you ever need some more specific help, I’m sure there’s help available :slight_smile:

Hi Mark, Do you know how to persuade MODX to get the URL for the docs site (http://docs.modx.com/) listed so that it shows up on standard search engines? It would be very helpful to newbies like me who don’t pay the modx.com fee directly (so we don’t have a login to see resources available) but still need to work out what we’re doing :slight_smile:

Hi Mark, Do you know how to persuade MODX to get the URL for the docs site (http://docs.modx.com/) listed so that it shows up on standard search engines? It would be very helpful to newbies like me who don’t pay the modx.com fee directly (so we don’t have a login to see resources available) but still need to work out what we’re doing :slight_smile:

The MODX documentation is free and has nothing to do with paid MODX Cloud services. Neither is it hidden behind any resources that require a login. A search for “modx documentation” results in it coming up in every search engine I tried. So I’m not sure what this post is about at all.

Newbies like me don’t know that they need to search for “modx documentation” Just saying!

Sometimes you’ll find that you’re talking to your Grandmother :slight_smile:

What do you search for that doesn’t lead you to the docs? Just trying to understand the problem you’ve had to find them.

It’s also refered to on the MODX site under Resources > Documentation for what it’s worth. No fees or anything.

If anyone’s charging for access to the docs I want my cut :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve tried loads of search - from MODX to MODX videos / training to MODX ++++++

At best I get https://codingpad.maryspad.com/ but Mary no longer supports the domain www.modxvideotutorials.com.

FYI I’ve found some text based beginners and intermediary text’ based stuff on her site plus random youtube videos / screencasts but ZERO that links me to MODX or MODX docs

Happy to replicate Google search(es) and screenshot (if helpful) on Monday

… thank you very much for your kind offer. Anyway this forum is very helpful to me (although my english is not the best).

Call me old-fashioned but for me it’s quicker to read “diagonally” throug a real document than clicking from screen to screen for hours! Furthermore I found out, that there are some details in the mentioned PDF document, which I didn’t see in the online help. Reason: If you look into the online help, you will see infos only relevant to the topic but there are often more things beside.

This phenomenon - I call it “myopia-effect” - is not specific to MODX but concerns all kinds of online tutorials! There is also a little technical advantage: If you are offline - for whatever reasons - there is still a nice documentation on your machine which is readable any time (my motto: remain independent)!

Conclusion: A downloadable and easy to find documentation of MODX - maybe including a few practical and effective tipps for beginners - would be fine!

Thanks a lot folks for this nice discussion - may be it helps some day.

Greetings from Dresden - yours: ejomi

Right - the official docs don’t really include that much in terms of video, mostly text. The “Video Quick Start” page probably is all the video you’ll find in the docs: Video Quick-Start Series - Integrating Templates | MODX Documentation

Different people learn differently for sure.

Kris Sarrat’s MODX videos on YouTube are also pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMQfm9ZdLvwihgnLnORDM3A/search?query=modx

If you’d like, you can also grab a copy of the official docs from GitHub. Obviously not as easily navigated as the site itself, but for a quick reference that could certainly be useful. (Incidentally the entire documentation is open source and can be fully run locally; but requires some setup to do so.)

Note that the official MODX docs are fairly focused on the development side. Given there are infinite ways to configure MODX for a specific site, user guides like the one shared by @inside-creative aren’t really covered in the docs and are likely to be site and/or agency specific.