Organizing resource listing in the manager

Maybe silly question: I want to organize the resources listing in the manager under the resources tab. As I have many of them, they should behave similar to the expandable and reducible element lists under category headlines. How to do that for resources?

Parent/child relationships amongst resources do what I want. But this affects to my knowledge necessarily the path of the resources. I don’t want to have this. I don’t want that paths change because I organize the listing display in the manager.

I don’t see that categories could be assigned to resources for having the same listing behavior as the various kinds of elements to which categories can be assigned.

Resource groups seem to be for access and rights control, but not for listing control in the manager.

For contexts, the documentation reads as if they could easily do what I want. But when I create a new context by duplicating the web context and drag&drop resources into it, they won’t display in the front end. Pushed back in the web context they show up again. Do I need additional settings not mentioned in the documentation for having two or more contexts showing up in the front end?

Or what else to do? Thank you for your efforts.

Axel

There are some friendly URL system settings that may help to avoid path changes, use_alias_path being the most important one. If you disable that (which may be the default IIRC?), all resources will not use their parents in determining the full URI.

If you use the default content type with the .html extension, you may need to also adjust the container_suffix system setting, as that will be used when a resource is set to be a container. So while use_alias_path makes sure you get /child.html instead of of /parent/child.html, I think you may still see /parent/ if you don’t adjust the container suffix. (If you’ve removed the .html extension from the content type, this is likely unneccessary.)

It’s also possible to set a frozen URI. On a resource settings tab, check “Freeze URI” and enter/change the final URI you want to use for a page. That overrides all other options, but needs to be set per-resource.

Correct, categories can only be used for elements.

Also correct.

Contexts are best seen as “subsites” or variations of a site. It’s necessary to instruct MODX when to load what context, for example by using something like the XRouting extra. (There are also alternative context routers available, like LangRouter which routes based on users’ languages.)

If you do not have a different domain, path, or other user variable to indicate what context should be used, contexts are not right.

I’d recommend your first instinct, making use of the parent/child relationship for your sites organisation.

Thanks markh for the quick help. It is exactly the FURL setting you mentioned. BR, Axel

1 Like