Media Temple and MODx - issues logging into Manager - solution here Feb 2023

Media Temple have moved all clients over to GoDaddy servers (Feb 2023) and while the sites themselves are fine, once a user tries to log into the CMS it says “The username or password you entered is incorrect. Please check the username, re-type the password, and try again.”

My first action was to use the Forgotten Password route - which usually works fine. But now, no email and link to reset password.

Next I tried resetting admin passwords via phpMyAdmin - and again no joy logging in.

Finally via FTP I downloaded the config.inc.php file and went over the details.

Sure enough I noticed that these had been updated to reflect the server moves - however one config hadn’t the

$database_dsn

Before MT’s servers pointed mysql:host to a different server, rather than the usual localhost and the second part the dbname hadn’t updated to the new database name. I suspect as these are in one line in MODx it was missed - don’t know.

Mine was;

$database_dsn = ‘mysql:host=internal-db.sxxxx.gridserver.com;dbname=dbxxxx_mydatabase;charset=utf8’;

And to get it to work;

$database_dsn = ‘mysql:host=localhost;dbname=newprefix_dbxxxx_mydatabase;charset=utf8’;

Obvs dbxxxx, mydatabase and newprefix are replacements for real values

Also the error in this config effected calls to getPage and getResources - so a few things weren’t working on the site itself.

Hopefully this helps someone - I am quite pleased with myself that I figured it out fairly quickly LOL !

4 Likes