Manager login causes PHP Error (non-fatal)

Hello,
I was looking into my apache server log of my website (service provider is a2hosting) and see this error message constantly when I log into modx manager.
It basically says the client is trying to access /core/docs/changelog.txt which is denied.

[Sat Oct 21 00:26:59.739126 2023] [authz_core:error] [pid 173440:tid 23380540942080] [client 75.98.175.80:53312] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /home/xxxxx/public_html/xxxxx/core/docs/changelog.txt

Of course it will be denied as I left /core/.htaccess untouched.

# deny access to _all_ files in the core, including changelog.txt and error.log
# original borrowed from owncloud

# line below if for Apache 2.4
<ifModule mod_authz_core.c>
    Require all denied
</ifModule>

# line below if for Apache 2.2
<ifModule !mod_authz_core.c>
    deny from all
    Satisfy All
</ifModule>

# section for Apache 2.2 and 2.4
IndexIgnore *

I can get to the manager page but sometimes I see “the site is not working” page before I refresh it.
I am just curious as to what is causing this error message. It appears as if one of my manager components is trying to access the changelog.txt, but why?

modx version 3.04
PHP version 7.4 (phpthumb class file patched per recent forum entry to resolve issue of thumbnails not rendering in manager page)
extras installed on this site:
Ace, Big Brother, Captcha, Collections, getPage, getResources, Guzzle7, migx, pdotools, SPForm, spiefeed, UpgradeMODX, wayfinder

This is normal MODX behaviour.

The “Configuration Check” widget on the (default) dashboard makes a request to “changelog.txt” to check if the core folder is web-accessible.

If you see the error message in the server log, and no message in the dashboard widget, then everything is ok.

1 Like

Ok, then it is expected result. Thanks for the clarification!