Mailchimp for Modx with Checkbox

Using Formit for a simple contact form with a message and email input field, I intend to add a simple checkbox for letting my users optionally subscribe to a mailchimp newsletter in addition to sending me a message trough the contact form via formit. I noticed that there is an extra “Mailchimp for modx”. Is it somehow possible to combine this extra with formit to also suscribe to my newsletter only if the checkbox is active but send the formit message anyways or do I have to use Formit and Mailchimp for modx separately?

I hope I am making sense. Upon form submission:

• if checkbox “newsletter” is not active, only send message (Formit)
  • if checkbox “newsletter” is active, send message via formit AND subscribe to mailchimp newsletter (Formit and Mailchimp for modx)

Do you mean this extra?

https://extras.modx.com/package/mailchimpforformit

If so, then you should be able to use the properties &mailchimpSubscribeField (and &mailchimpSubscribeFieldValue) like in the example on Github:

There’s also the Subscribe extra, which puts users into a usergroup. I don’t think it would work with a checkbox, but you could put a link to a custom “subscribe” form, like the “Become a Subscriber” link on this page. The subscribe form is configurable through a Tpl chunk.

Guys, thanks a lot for your input. I will have a look at it and try to make it work with the mailchimpforformit plugin. As bob pointed out, I fear it won’t be working with a simple checkbox but we will see.