Issue using TinyMCE at richtext TV field

Hi there, having a long history in using MODX so far (it all started with Etomite for me), I finally signed in to this forum as I got stuck this time.
At first let me thank all heads involved in the MODX project – I believe this is a superb piece of software!
My question:
I set up Migx (MigxDb) and have configured a richtext field. When editing the TV, the RTE shows up at the textarea field but seems to be incomplete: a couple of action buttons I’d expect to see are missing, e.g. the ul/ol buttons. Nevertheless, they do appear at the RTE at the resource’s content field.
At my local dev env. (with the same extras installed), those action buttons do exist at both the TV richtext field as well as at the resource’s content field. Compare the screenhots and see differences. Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

which TinyMCE - Extra is that?

1 Like

I installed “TinyMCE Rich Text Editor” from within the package manager.
Also, I re-installed it completely before posting my request.

1 Like

Wow Etomite! That’s so classic.

You might try another TinyMCE extra, there are a few, check them out in the extras

I’d like to keep “TinyMCE Rich Text Editor” as my customer is used to work with this.
The site has a complex setup and a lot of data has already been entered; therefore I would like to avoid a full reinstall of the CMS…

1 Like

I will look into it at a installation of mine, as soon, as I have a chance

1 Like

I am using FRED at a different project and love the options of it’s very detailed configuration settings of the TinyMCE – one can even configure the RTE on a per-field basis. This maybe specific to the FRED implementation; on the other hand, maybe I just have a lack of knowledge and cannot locate the conf-files…

1 Like

I know you said you don’t want to switch extras, but I would really truly recommend switching to the tinymcewrapper extra. Your customer will have the same experience they’re used to, but you will be able to configure tinymce for TVs exactly the way you like. Tinymcewrapper installs with a complete set of chunks for config of the content, TVs, chunks, migx, etc.

1 Like

Note: if you do decide to switch, I believe it’s important to uninstall the current tinymce extra before installing the different one. And tinymcewrapper docs has a link to a page that will walk you through the setup. This is important to follow as the initial setup is a bit involved. But so worth it. You will feel powerful!

1 Like

I am going to try that out, Lucy. Thank you for your advice – will post a note here later than. Fingers crossed…

1 Like

Here is the forum post that has the setup steps. I follow these every time I install tinymcewrapper.
https://forums.modx.com/thread/97694/support-comments-for-tinymcewrapper?page=27#dis-post-543700

Also, you may want to install VersionX first. Since adding a new RTE can sometimes strip important stuff from content before you’ve had a chance to configure your allowed elements, having the previous version of pages is helpful.

1 Like

I walked through the recommended steps but without success. As the configuration of the editor already ate up a good part of my billable project time, I then decided to try CKEDIT. With this editor in place and without any configuration, I now have a full button bar available both at the resources as well as at the MIGX TVs which gives me access to the features I was in need for (and even more features I’d rather deactivate). My initial request is resolved now – most important for me was getting access to the ul/ol buttons at the TVs.
Nevertheless, I am still wondering if there is a way to have different button bars at the resources and the TVs. The system settings seem to support this: go to System Settings > migx > and then search for the key “editor”. Unfortunately, whenever I change something there, it affects all instances of the CKEDITOR.
Is somebody expierienced here and be so kind to post a hint?

1 Like