Install Problems Before & After Server Upgrade

So a testing version of ModX i have installed on a VPS started to give me a blank manager (but still have the top bar).

My server folks said I should upgrade so I did. No change.
SO I decide to install a fresh modx to see if its even possible.
Hangs on : Connection Information

→ [Test database server connection and view collations.] does nothing.

I get this: Deprecated : Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /setup/includes/parser/modinstallsmarty.class.php on line 75
so I apploed the fix from here PHP code deprecation notice on installation

and it did remove that error but still doesnt help the install problem.

Php 7.4
mysql: 5.7.30

If it is possible try downgrading the PHP version to 7.3.

Andy, thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my problem. I have tried downgrading all the way back to 5.4 and each step, same results.

Have you created a database already, or are you relying on the installer to create one for you.?

I would recomend creating the database first and then connecting to it.

In your hosting environment is ‘localhost’ the correct path to the database?

Yessir. I always create the database in advance. localhost yes. I have installed modx probably1863 times but im in no way knowledgeable outside a typical scenario of installation, but i dont know why suddenly this happens.

Im not sure this helps, but as I adjust php to 7.4 and try to goto root domain, (which is a subdomain like example.domain.com)
it shows this:
Deprecated : Directive ‘allow_url_include’ is deprecated in Unknown on line 0

inspecting it with browser shows this:

Uncaught EvalError: Refused to evaluate a string as JavaScript because ‘unsafe-eval’ is not an allowed source of script in the following Content Security Policy directive: “script-src ‘self’ ‘unsafe-inline’”.

at ext-core.js:9
at ext-core.js:9

modx.setup.js:1 Uncaught TypeError: Ext.onReady is not a function
at modx.setup.js:1

database.js:1 Uncaught TypeError: Ext.onReady is not a function
at database.js:1

DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for chrome-extension://fheoggkfdfchfphceeifdbepaooicaho/sourceMap/chrome/iframe_handler.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME

DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for chrome-extension://fheoggkfdfchfphceeifdbepaooicaho/sourceMap/chrome/content.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME

not sure that helps anyone.

error logs shows this:

[authz_core:error] [pid 19410:tid 47100303795968] [client ip removed:33248] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /home/public_html/core/docs/changelog.txt

more findings:

Deprecated : Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/public_html/setup/includes/parser/modinstallsmarty.class.php on line 75

I love that you kept track. :smiley:

Given the MODX manager is built on a rather old version of ExtJS, I don’t think a strict Content Security Policy is going to work. Perhaps you can disable that in the manager or loosen it to resolve the errors.

These are errors that are both safe to ignore (sourcemaps are for development, only requested when you open the browsers’ developer tools) and caused by your chrome extensions, not MODX.

That’s good - it means you’ve locked down your core directory. MODX (as well as SiteDash) tries to ping the changelog to verify that’s locked down.

Only just seen this but I’d be interested to know what happens if you connect to the database using the ip address rather than localhost