Error moving site to 'live'

Summary

I am moving a site to new location (new domain name) on same server

Step to reproduce

Packed up files, downloaded & uploaded the DB, unpacked files, changed config files.

Observed behavior

Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Call to a member function parseProperties() on null in /home/zenteach/public_html/core/model/modx/modelement.class.php:567 Stack trace: #0 /home/zenteach/public_html/core/model/modx/modx.class.php(1666): modElement->getProperties() #1 /home/zenteach/public_html/core/model/modx/modx.class.php(568): modX->invokeEvent(‘OnMODXInit’, Array) #2 /home/zenteach/public_html/setup/includes/modinstall.class.php(492): modX->initialize(‘mgr’) #3 /home/zenteach/public_html/setup/includes/modinstall.class.php(150): modInstall->_modx(Array) #4 /home/zenteach/public_html/setup/includes/test/modinstalltest.class.php(315): modInstall->getConnection() #5 /home/zenteach/public_html/setup/includes/test/modinstalltest.class.php(51): modInstallTest->_checkDatabase() #6 /home/zenteach/public_html/setup/includes/modinstall.class.php(229): modInstallTest->run(1) #7 /home/zenteach/public_html/setup/controllers/summary.php(29): modInstall->test(1) #8 /home/zenteach/public_html/setup/includes/request/modinstallrequest.clas in /home/zenteach/public_html/core/model/modx/modelement.class.php on line 567

Expected behavior

Should have worked - followed proper steps (as far as I know).

Environment

newest MODX server not changed litespeed mariadb

Maybe it is simpler to recreate from scratch? (not so many pages).

Hi @egmund

Have you tried to empty core/cache/ folder?
Normally that solves the problem and it is a step that tends to be forgotten frequently.

Cheers

Just did. Now I get 'Site temporarily unavailable* at the same spot.
‘Clear cache’ is mentioned but not empty cache dir in the instructions.

When you changed config files, did you change the core co fig.php file on the different folders to have the correct paths, including core/config?

indeed I did (unless I overlooked something)

Ok.
So I will assume that the core.config.php files on the root for, core dir and manager dir are properly updated, including core/config/.

Some more questions:

• what is your web server pack? (Apache/nginx, php version, mariaDb version, etc);
  • what is your modx version?
  • how did you copy the files? Be aware that moving the full folder of modx to your ftp can create problems. Better to zip on your end, copy to your ftp (binary transfer mode) and on the webhosting web panel file manager, unzip it directly. This will avoid risk of data corruption.
  • have you tried to copy the setup folder of your modx version and run it again?
Apache Version 2.4.41
PHP Version 7.1.31
MySQL Version 10.3.18-MariaDB-cll-lve
Architecture x86_64
Operating System linux

modx is 2.7.2 upgraded from 2.7.1
Files packed up in cPanel, copied over and unpacked
Setup folder copied separately and running it give the above mentioned errors.
After updating all paths I could find and setting correct user, db and pw I get ‘site temporarily unavailable’ running setup as well as trying manager.

Did you upgrade before you moved or after? You shouldn’t really need to run setup if the site has moved successfully and paths are all good. Have you checked permission (CHMOD)?

Upgrade was done before moving & all worked. In the error-log file on the old site though there was the above mentioned error, so there must have been a problem before (non visible).
I will try afresh without running setup. How come everywhere I find info on moving site it says “run setup”?
If this doesn’t work I will do a fresh install.

There’s a thread here that may help - perhaps go back, fix and then try to move again…
https://forums.modx.com/thread/104330/upgrademodx-fatal-error-uncaught-error-call-to-a-member-function-parseproperties-on-null-in-modelement-class-php-524

Yes, that is possibly it.
In the meantime I am in the process of doing a fresh install. I do not have that many pages, so it should be simple enough.
Are pdotools &/or tinymce buggy?
Thank you all for your help.

pdoTools isn’t buggy. It works really well.
However if you’re using an older version of TinyMCE, that might be.

Thank you for that info.
In the meantime: I now have a fresh site fully functioning.
Looking forward to playing some more w. Revo.

1 Like