Dasboard main section not showing up in MODX versions up to 2.7.1

I’m trying to udgrade some older MODX installations I have, these are in versions 2.6.5 - 2.7.1, and am finding that although the Manager loads and everything seemingly works, the main section of the home Dashboard doesn’t display. This is happening with several installations. Anything that is 2.7.2 or later is fine.

I have been having some other issues with MODX since this server was ugraded about a week ago, all relating to mod_sec rules and calls to external sources, so I was wondering if there was a change in the way the Dashboard page called the “News” and “Security Updates” feeds between 2.7.1 and 2.7.2 that could be the cause of this? Or is there any other cause that anyone has experienced?

Many thanks - Mark

MODX 2.6.5 - 2.7.1
Apache 2.4.51
PHP 7.4.23
MySQL 8.0.26

Maybe this is the relevant change:

So you upgraded to a newer version, and the problem you were having is resolved? Perfect! :slight_smile:

As you’re running a recent(-ish) version of PHP with an old(-ish) version of MODX, chances are that combination has issues (eg deprecation notices) that have been long fixed.

I’d encourage upgrading to 2.8 while you’re at it, and if you encounter any dashboard issues there we’re happy to help you debug those, starting with looking at the developer console in the browser and looking through the relevant logs (MODX, server). Doing that for an issue in 2.7.1 that’s no longer present in 2.7.2 seems a waste of time, though.

No, alas not. I havent upgraded as the “MODX Upgrade” link shows up in the part of the Dashboard that isn’t displaying, so I haven’t been able to use it. The “UpgradeMODX” resource that is supposed to be for this use case doesn’t seem to work.

Most of my client’s sites are on 2.8.3, but I have a few that have not been touched since the big hacking issue a few years ago that needed the upgrade to 2.6.5, and are still on that version, clients that didn’t want any maintenance with their sites but have resurfaced wanting updates etc. recently. So my first step with any new work was to update to the latest MODX version, which is where I am now.

Is the problem that the “UpgradeMODX” dashboard widget doesn’t work or that you can’t see any widgets in the dashboard at all?

Maybe you can set the system settings feed_modx_news_enabled and feed_modx_security_enabled to No or alternatively remove all other widgets from your dashboard (in the top menu → cogwheel icon → Dashboards → right click “Update Dashboard” → right click “Remove Widget from Dashboard”)

And you can always do a manual upgrade:

https://docs.modx.com/current/en/getting-started/maintenance/upgrading

The two feeds mentioned by halftrainedharry are common culprits in missing manager widgets. Disabling them is one solution, but moving them to the bottom of the dashboard can also help (By changing their rank to 99 in the widget table in the DB if necessary).

Another common problem I’ve seen is a leftover cookie from a previous install. If visiting the site with your browser in incognito or private mode solves the problem, that’s the cause.

Thanks all for your input.

After expending quite a bit of time exploring possible mod_sec issues and PHP version issues and still not solving the issue, I decided it was easier to copy all the templates, chunks, etc. to a Text Wrangler file, do a new installation and copy the stuff back, as this isn’t a very big site.

At least this way it was a predictable amount of time to being up and running rather than chasing the “ghost in the machine” for an unknown amount of time.

Thanks again.

Are you loading the manager at a secure address? I found that the old feed links were to non-secure addresses (‘http://’), and changing them to “https://” solved this problem for me.

Hi,
I’m encountering this issue too.
I have about 4 sites that are running on 2.7.1 and BobRays upgrade is not responsive and the dashboard isn’t displaying.
They are all running PHP 7.4

The error log after clicking on the upgrade extra is as follows:

[2022-05-25 14:23:33] (ERROR @ /home/mysite/public_html/core/xpdo/om/xpdoobject.class.php : 240) Error 42000 executing statement: 
Array
(
    [0] => 42000
    [1] => 1064
    [2] => You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ASC' at line 1
)

[2022-05-25 14:23:33] (ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /home/mysite/public_html/core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace tagger to the routing based system.
[2022-05-25 14:23:33] (ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /home/mysite/public_html/core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace quip to the routing based system.
[2022-05-25 14:23:33] (ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /home/mysite/public_html/core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace themepackagercomponent to the routing based system.
[2022-05-25 14:23:46] (ERROR @ /home/mysite/public_html/core/xpdo/om/xpdoobject.class.php : 240) Error 42000 executing statement: 
Array
(
    [0] => 42000
    [1] => 1064
    [2] => You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ASC, category ASC' at line 1
)

[2022-05-25 14:23:48] (ERROR @ /home/mysite/public_html/core/components/phpthumbof/model/phpthumbof.class.php : 156) [pThumb] Resource: 47 || Image: (none)
File not found: /home/mysite/public_html/assets/media/assets/images/404background.jpg  *** Skipping ***

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Go to System Settings and type “feed” in the search box. Disable the security and news feeds, then clear the cache (preferably manually or with the CacheClear extra), then visit the site with your browser in private or incognito mode. See if that helps.

It also looks like there’s an issue with phpThumbOf, though that shouldn’t be executing in the Manager.

Thanks for your reply @bobray.
Unfortunately that doesn’t work. Neither the dashboard items display nor the Upgrade extra executing. I can get to the upgrade page via the Resource but clicking the ‘Begin upgrade’ button does nothing.
Error report after going through the above…

[2022-05-27 14:16:26] (ERROR @ /home/mysite/public_html/core/xpdo/om/xpdoobject.class.php : 240) Error 42000 executing statement: 
Array
(
    [0] => 42000
    [1] => 1064
    [2] => You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ASC' at line 1
)

[2022-05-27 14:16:32] (ERROR @ /home/mysite/public_html/core/xpdo/om/xpdoobject.class.php : 240) Error 42000 executing statement: 
Array
(
    [0] => 42000
    [1] => 1064
    [2] => You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ASC, category ASC' at line 1
)

I can go the manual upgrade route of course but it would be good to get to the bottom of this issue.
Thanks again.

Sorry, I have nothing else to suggest except removing all widgets from the dashboard except UGM and manually clearing the cache again.