MODX Community

Best Practice: Update procedure

Hello,
I am new to MODX - recently “inherited” several sites running on 2.6.5-pl. Seems to me, some of these have been heavily customized. The original developers are not available, nor is there any documentation.

Some of the sites run on PHP 5.6, which will be shut down very soon, so my first job is to update the PHP version to 7.3, next will be updating to the most recent MODX version.

It looks like 2.6.5-pl core will run just fine on PHP 7.3 ?
If anyone could direct me to best practice of the update procedure - thanks!

I plan on using Akeeba Standalone for backup, which allows me to revert. I do not have SSH access. I am also considering to duplicate the site locally, just in case the Customizations / Extras give me trouble.

Regards,
Richard

The basic procedure is to download the latest version via MODX.com/download, unzip that, and upload it to your site. After that, open the installer (at yoursite.com/setup) and follow the steps.

To be cautious, make sure you have a copy of the files and database before starting.

To speed things up, you can install the UpgradeMODX extra which will handle downloading and putting in place the files for you.

There’s also SiteDash which can upgrade sites remotely with one click, but it’s useful to get comfortable with the general procedure first.

Thank you for taking the time. Sounds easier then I thought ;).
I have updated PHP to 7.3 and get Cache Warnings (sorry, I am at home now and can’t recall the exact message), on PHP 7.2 all seems good.

Richard