Articles: empty table of articles

Hi.

First, when I selected the resource with Articles on the resources tree, the area on the right become completely blank. But, I cleared the cache of my navigator and the content was displayed… almost. Because, the table of all articles are still empty: No data to display. However, I have several articles inside.

Please, help me :blush:

MODX 3.0.1-pl
Articles 2.0.0-beta

Are there any relevant errors in the MODX error log? (Does something get added when you open the “Articles” resource?)

When you open the developer tools in the browser → tab “Network” and then load the “Articles” resource, there is probably a XHR request that loads the rows for the grid. What is the response? Is there an error message in the response?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10944512 bytes) in
/home/www/ebersheim-3/core/src/Revolution/Processors/Processor.php on line 270

First, I have no XHR but if I click on the reload button below the table, the XHR file appear but i still have no content in the table. And if I click on “index.php” (same line of XHR), I have the previous error on Preview tab.

Ok, so you are saying that the XHR request to https://yourdomain.com/connectors/index.php with the “action” parameter = Articles\\Processors\\Article\\GetList returns a “Allowed memory size […] exhausted” error message?

This is weird! The “limit” parameter limits the response to only 20 items?
Maybe a specific articles creates the problem.
Does something change if you reduce the page size (“Per Page:”) under the grid?

Indeed. If I change the number of line per page, it’s works. Strangely, if I put 20 again, documents are displayed (it’s take a little time, but it’s works).

Hi @halftrainedharry
I don’t want to bother you. Do you know where the problem come from? I’m sadly stuck with this issue.

It’s hard to say what the problem is.

When you look at response of the processor, is there a lot of data in the response?

Maybe check if a system setting articles.mgr_article_content_preview_length exists, and set it to a small value, so that not much of the resource-content gets returned.

How many articles to you have on your system? A really huge number?

When you look at response of the processor, is there a lot of data in the response?

Honestly, I don’t know where can I have this information. Sorry :slightly_frowning_face:

Maybe check if a system setting articles.mgr_article_content_preview_length exists, and set it to a small value, so that not much of the resource-content gets returned.

I set to 5 and I always the issue!

How many articles to you have on your system? A really huge number?

Only 89 articles.

In the “Network” tab of the developer tools, you should see the size of the response (from the AJAX-request to the processor).
Then when you click on the request in the list, a new window should appear on the right, where you can see (for example) the actual raw response data.

Do you use Quip?

So. First, when I load the page and when the table is empty, I have the error that I talked earlier.
Then, if I change the number below the table, it load 7,97 Mo.

I installed it, but I don’t remember if I use it for the website (I made the site a long time ago). By the way, I cannot uninstall it.

???
What unit is this?

In your Articles container, when you go to “Advanced Settings” → “Comments” is “Enable Comments:” set to No?

In general: I don’t see anything in the Articles\\Processors\\Article\\GetList processor that would exhaused the memory with so few data.

7,97 Megaoctets

I just do it (no need comments).

I don’t understand either. What can I do?

Ok, so it’s “Megabyte” in french.

This still seems to be kind of a large amount of data, just to show a list of 20 articles in the grid.
Did you check the response JSON to see what takes up most of the transferred data.

You could probably adjust the code in the Processor to return only data that is actually needed to show the grid (if the data size is really the issue here).

I’m feeling stupid, because I don’t know how can I see the JSON response. I learned the code myself, so I have some gaps :confused:

In the developer tools of the browser in the tab “Network”

click on the line with the XHR request.

A new window should appear on the right side with new tabs in the header. Open the “Response” tab and take a look at the response data (or maybe copy it to a text editor).

(The screenshots are from Firefox but it should look similar in Chrome.)

I don’t understand: since the last modification (few days ago), I just reset the parameter his->modx->getOption('articles.mgr_article_content_preview_length',null,300); and now everything works. What the hell is this? Maybe it’s one old article that generated a glitch, because I see that my client create 3 new articles today. So, I notice that everything is fine only just now.

Anyway, since I cannot longer reproduce the issue, I consider it fixed.

So, I just want to thank you @halftrainedharry Thank you for your time, your kindness and your explanations.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after discussion ended and a solution was marked. New replies are no longer allowed. You can open a new topic by clicking the link icon below the original post or solution and selecting “+ New Topic”.