Any success with Geo Location?

I was looking for a plugin / extra which would work with MaxMind GeoIP2 or GeoLite2 to return a value on user’s supposed country of origin in order to direct to appropriate language content. I couldn’t find anything, nor much discussion - strange, seeing as how common this is over in WordPress land.

Does anyone have any experience or a successful Modx snippet example of using Geo IP database for querying user geo location?

I think, thats because you don’t need much of an Extra and I think, you can just create a snippet, following the examples
maxmind/GeoIP2-php: PHP API for GeoIP2 webservice client and database reader (github.com)
after you have downloaded and installed the php api

or just use javascript

Geolocate an IP address using Web Services with the client-side JavaScript | MaxMind Developer Portal

1 Like

Cheers, Bruno, we’ll take a look. JS may be the easier

Had a similar challenge. Easy to do with a snippet. This will show the city based on IP.

$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

$location = 'unknown';

$details = json_decode(file_get_contents("http://ipinfo.io/{$ip}/json"));

if( isset($details->city) ){

$location = $details->city;

}
2 Likes

You can also check out geocoder, which lets you use different functions from a provider of choice.