All manager elements missing 404 Not found

Summary

When I logged into my 2.6.5 instance for the first time in a few months, the manager took 30 secs to load because it couldn’t find any of the files. I get 404 errors for every folder/file in the manager and it appears it’s a url issue, but I’m not sure.

Step to reproduce

Just login.

Observed behavior

I’m with Bluehost and have multiple sites on the same account. I use their business cloud server and so the directory is something like:
/home/myaccountname/public_html/website-1/manager/core/etc…
/home/myaccountname/public_html/website-2/manager/core/etc…
/home/myaccountname/public_html/website-3/manager/core/etc…
/home/myaccountname/public_html/website-4/manager/core/etc…

I get these errors for literally every directory in the manager.

GET http://www.website.com/website-1/manager/assets/modext/widgets/core/modx.tree.asynctreenode.js net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)

It seems to me that the url is wrong. Even though the file structure is such that /home/myaccountname/public_html/website-1/manager is accurate, the rendered url shouldn’t have /website/ in the url. In my mind if it were any other error it would read:

http://www.website.com/manager/assets

NOT:

http://www.website.com/website-1/manager/assets

The “website-1” piece bothers me.

Expected behavior

I get links in the manager, but it’s basic formatting and unusable.

Environment

cPanel|78.0 (build 24)
Apache 2.4.39
PHP 5.6.40
MySQL|5.6.41-84.1

Can you confirm the files actually exist by visiting the directories in an FTP? Also ensure the database exists. MODX 2.6.5 is quite an old version and you would have missed some critical security fixes.

Thanks for the quick reply…

Yes, the db is there and working. The front end is fully functional and I can see all the manager files.

Take a look at the core/config/config.inc.php file, especially the Manager path and URL.

Also, take a good look at .htaccess to make sure your host hasn’t dropped something in there.

BTW, it’s very unusual to have the core directory under the manager directory as you show in your paths above. Normally, those two directories would be at the same level if you haven’t moved either of them.

Bob, I apologize for writing out the file structure that way - my mistake. Those two directories (manager and core) are at the same level.

Also, the .htaccess file is the first place I looked because it seemed the most obvious. However, it appears that the .htaccess is the same. I will check again to make sure that I didn’t miss something. I’m still at a loss though and can’t seem to pinpoint the problem.

So, I haven’t been too worried about this because the site is still working, but I’m still having the same problem. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do to fix this?

I already ‘reinstalled’ the site. I uploaded the install folder and ran through the install process and it didn’t change anything. It’s such a weird thing I’m totally stumped.

1 Like

Is there an .htaccess file in the Manager folder?

It kind of sounds like a problem with the hosts virtual directory setup (assuming that you have each domain name pointed at the appropriate MODX root).

You might also take a look at the paths and URLs in the core/config/config.inc.php folder and the three config.core.php files (root, manager, and connectors directories), especially the one in the manager directory.

Another possibility is a file permissions or ownership problem with one or more directories.