The Future of MODX

I came across this post when asking this very question myself. MODX 3 has been talked about for a long time now and whilst in roads are being made, it is difficult to see when (not if, fingers crossed) this will actually become beta.

I am always struck by the loyalty to MODX (myself included) from those that use it regularly and it is a great platform (and yes, I am biased) but it is difficult to sell to clients who only ever hear about those platforms which have remained very active especially Wordpress or have good marketing budgets such as (dare I say it) Square Space, Wix (groan) and similar solutions. It is easy to see why clients who do not understand the market are seduced by these other options and it’s difficult (not impossible) to “educate” them about other options and explain the benefits that are available by using MODX.

I really hope that those who have continued to dedicate so much of their hard work and knowledge into helping ensure that there really is a future for MODX do find the time and resources to get it over the line - it’s been a long time coming.

As @wshawn says “we are far past due for an official update and ETA on beta production versions”.

A few weeks ago I made a list of blockers that need to be addressed before we can tag the 3.0 beta: MODX3 Final Sprint [Mark's personal list] - Google Sheets

While I intended it as a personal list to focus my own efforts, it seems to resonate and others have been picking up the items too. Plus I got offered funding to work on that list, too, so that’s moving along.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, Mark!

I’m currently looking for someone to write monthly “new and notable”-style posts on MODX.today, paid per article by modmore, to provide more regular updates and translate the super technical that’s happening on GitHub into more easily digestible updates of things that matter for the average users.

The core integrators don’t have the time to do that (and I also think that sort of communication should not be demanded from core devs; writing and code are very different skills), so hopefully I can find someone willing to pick up that responsibility for the community.

1 Like

Hmm. Great idea. Tell me more about what exactly you want the content to be, or PM me. I always look on MODX Today for updates.

2 Likes

How would we even know how many are using MODX? It’s not like there is some sort of signature in the code that will indicate a MODX site, since people can use whatever templates they want.

I recently had a group meeting with a client whose website I developed years ago in MODX. They switched to Wordpress a couple of years ago when a new executive director came onboard and wanted to “modernize” the website, and had a Wordpress programmer she worked with. Well, a few weeks ago, they fired the executive director and the new one contacted me saying they wanted to put the site back into MODX because they just couldn’t figure out how to do certain things. The new director isn’t the most web-savvy, so she asked why MODX would be a better choice than Wordpress. I was about to start listing all the reasons, but the editor, who has worked with them for years and works in various Wordpress sites, WIX sites, and many MODX sites I’ve set up for other clients, immediately chimed in and said very strongly, “Whenever I work in Wordpress and want to do anything a little different, it makes me want to poke my eye out! In MODX, it’s always easy,” That kind of said it all, and I didn’t need to add anything else to convince the director that it’s the right way to go. We’re redoing the site in MODX now.

9 Likes

Well, maybe, but many people find systems like ContentBlocks and Gutenberg Blocks very confusing and unintuitive. I’ve built all kinds of responsive and banner-driven sites using just Collections and MIGX. They work just fine, and it’s easier for a lot of people to grasp what content is where to edit it. For editors who aren’t so web-savvy, or so structure-oriented, my systems provide a way to do everything block editors do in a way that makes sense to these clients.

3 Likes

Security-wise, is Modx a stable system going into the future?

@cwork What do you mean by this?

Do you mean is it a good choice to use MODX because it’s going to continue to be developed and maintained? We’re constantly working to improve security and closing even some of the most esoteric potential security reports outside those that require manager access with a sudo user (which can basically do anything inside of MODX or on the file system).

MODX has been around since 2005 and we are readying MODX Revolution 3 for beta release. Once beta release is done and we release MODX 3, we’ll be supporting MODX 2 and 3 while we consider the next MODX. We care deeply about making the most flexible, high-performing and secure CMS out there.

9 Likes

This was indeed an issue before, but that has been addressed already. An HTTP header is set, which indicates that the site is powered by MODX:

Enabled by default, but you can disable it with a system setting:

Thanks for pointing that out. You’re right: different people, different preferences :slight_smile: I also use MIGX a lot, especially in combination with data from custom tables. It’s perfect for creating structure, but in my experience it falls short when it comes to presentation. Before ContentBlocks, I also had some responsive options built into templates and the RTE (TVs with content blocks or sidebar widgets, premade HTML snippets, etc), but that always felt limited and hacky. And although some clients are OK with MIGX, it’s a bit of an acquired taste. Try sorting items in MIGX:

You’d think you can move it up and down with those arrows, but you actually have to press an arrow in another row, to place the selected item before or after that item. Usability is terrible sometimes.

Compare that to ContentBlocks, where you can drag and drop everything, not just up and down, but also sideways between columns. Exactly how it’s positioned on a desktop display:

I think the confusion with ContentBlocks starts when you add the same kind of content on different pages. Then it becomes messy pretty quickly, where you don’t know anymore what you did on which page. Take a testimonial for example. You can create a ContentBlock where editors can enter some text, a picture, a link, etc, but then they become scattered across the website. For some people, that’s fine. But I also prefer to keep content in one place as much as possible. So I’d make a collection with testimonials, and then a ContentBlock for loading a selection of these testimonials (possibly with some filtering by tag / category) somewhere in the content. This also means it only takes 1 edit to change the content of the testimonial across the site. Same can be done with other reusable kinds of content, like team members, portfolio items, CTAs, etc.

It’s really up to the developer to set up ContentBlocks in a way that makes sense to the editors. My clients keep telling me that they would never want to have it any other way, even after trying many alternatives. So for us, ContentBlocks is that game changer, keeping us with MODX :slight_smile:

Yes, I always disable that, as I think other security-minded people probably do, so that hackers can’t easily see what’s powering my websites.

I use MODX to dish up pages securely without exposing my PHP code, and bootstrap to do the responsive stuff. I find the flexibility of MODX is it’s main asset. I use WordPress for my sites that are edited by others who don’t know code but I use MODX when I’m the only contributor.

I would hate to see MODX go in the direction of WordPress although I appreciate that to make it appeal to the masses it would need to be mouse driven. So long as the ability to upload static resources and snippets is still possible I will use it.

Being an old-school programmer I prefer and find it much faster to write code offline then upload it compared to having to click around in a GUI waiting for it to refresh all the time.
I also try to minimize using add-ons/plugins because they require you to keep checking for updates, and when you do update one it can break the site.

What I have read about the wonderful work that the MODX team are doing for MODX 3 seems to be focused a lot on the manager. Obviously I use the manager to get a site set up, but I mostly code offline then FTP files into static resources and snippets.

I’ve tried many Content Management Systems over the years and I can’t think of a single one I would like to switch to instead of MODX. I admit the learning curve can be steep sometimes, but if you reach for help, the support of the MODX family is incredible and I pay my huge respect to anyone driving this project. I will definitely stick around and keep building my new sites with MODX!

1 Like

Not sure what you mean here. You can drag and drop rows in MIGX.

1 Like

Also for MIGXdb there is a dragable grid

1 Like

I also worry about the future of modx sometimes, we need to get more people on board and using it I feel the commuinity is to small and to many people end up using other systems.I tried to mess with other systems such as october CMS, drupal, craft but I did not like certain things and always come back to modx. modx right now makes up basically all website builds I do.

1 Like

Hi @snowcreative and @bruno17. I wasn’t aware this can be done in MIGXdb grids as well. Sorry if I missed that!

I created a new topic for that: How to change position of items with drag&drop in MIGXdb grids?. Let’s not hijack this one.

Then you might be interested in this proposal / discussion: