System Emails not sending

None of the system emails are sending (i.e. password reset). I contacted the server company(since this is happening on multiple sites) and found out the MODx is not putting in the emailfrom. I checked the system setting ‘emailsender’ and it has a valid email. Would really appreciate some insight. Thank you in advance.

MODx Version 2.8.1

Please see https://docs.modx.com/current/en/building-sites/sending-mail

That page shows some recommended settings and how to test things from MODX’ end. If it only affected forms it could be a formit configuration (an empty &fromName/&fromEmail) but this sounds like something that would be incorrect on the settings level.

It doesn’t affect forms at all it’s just the emails that MODx is trying to send.

Yes, I acknowledged that:

This is what came out of the QuickEmail snippet.

System Settings (used if property is missing):
emailsender System Setting: email@replacedemail.com
site_name System Setting: MODX Revolution

Properties (from parameters, property set, or snippet default properties:

Tpl chunk name:
subject:
to:
fromName:
replyTo:
emailSender:
allowHtml: 1
Final Values (actually used when sending email):

subject: Default Subject
to: email@replacedemail.com
fromName: QuickEmail
replyTo: email@replacedemail.com
emailSender: email@replacedemail.com
allowHtml: 1
Message Body: Default Message

Send Failed

Mailer error info: Could not instantiate mail function.

Server Debug Information:

It was a CPanel error, with the outgoing spam filter, not MODx related thank you for your time.

Are you not sending emails using SMTP?

PHP’s built-in mail() that you appear to be using is very poor for delivery, and having it blocked on the server is not even the worst of ideas as spammers love it too. :wink:

I’d strongly recommend switching to sending via SMTP, how to do so is also explained on the documentation I linked you before.

1 Like

I usually do but when I make a new environment I don’t want to have to put in smtp details just so I can send out user password emails.

Fair enough! :slight_smile:

Post must be at least 20 characters