Need Installation Help

Hi,
I need more clarification for starting the installation.

I’d like to try Modx on my localhost.
I’ve downloaded the zip-file and unzipped it in my localhost directory.
So?
I’ve wrote this: localhost:8080/modx-2.7.1-pl/ in my browser and it said: Could not load MODX config file.

What’s the problem?

Hey @mrblond

Check this for assistance:

HI @mrblond you’ll need to visit localhost:8080/modx-2.7.1-pl/setup/ in order to install and configure MODX. The config file gets created upon setup. Then, you’ll be able to login and play around with it.

I was going to share @lkfranklin’s video but he snaked :snake: me.

1 Like

Well, I’ve got it and went ahead.

Now, I get Error when fulfill my login name, password and database name.
It says:

*Connecting to database server: *
Could not connect to the database server. Check the connection properties and try again.

[2019-05-10 17:45:34] (ERROR in xPDOConnection::connect @ C:\xampp\htdocs\modx-2.7.1-pl\core\xpdo\xpdo.class.php : 3119) SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user ‘plamen’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)

Are you using a local host app such as Xampp or Mamp? Did you see any warnings during setup?

I’m using Xampp.

It might be because on Database host: I leave it the default localhost. Probably it should be: localhost:8080

If the setup ran without the port, it’s possibly user permissions. Normally on localhost environments you’d use the mysql root user as was shown here https://youtu.be/MonNK0kfDUc?t=128

It is miracle.

I use localhost and root for login name, without password.
And I’ve got:

Connecting to database server: Success!

• Checking MySQL server version: OK! Running: 10.1.26-MariaDB
  • Checking MySQL client version: OK! Running: 5.0.12-20150407-$Id:b396954eeb2d1d9ed7902b8bae237b287f21ad9e$

Now, I have:
Connection character set: latin1
Collation: latin1_swedish_ci

Should I change them to utf8 and utf8_general_ci as shown in the instructions?

If you’re just playing around, you shouldn’t need to worry about the mysql charset. However, you can’t simply change the charset and collation because the data in the tables will still be in latin1 and latin1_swedish_ci which used to be the default MySQL db collation (it is now UTF8).

Wow, well done. I’m in.

Thanks for the support.

I’m going to examine MODX now.

3 Likes