How do we create an API Mode Context?

Summary

I’m trying to create a context that is in API Mode

Steps I’ve taken so far…

1. Created a context with key: api
  2. Created a System Setting field type: context, key: MODX_API_MODE, value: true
  3. Created a Context Setting type: text, key: MODX_API_MODE, value: true

Observed behavior

Accessing a resource within the api context loads the web context.

Expected behavior

Accessing a resource in the api context loads the api context.

Environment

MODX 2.8.1-pl

You’ll need something to route contexts, typically an extra like XRouting which routes based off http_host, base_url, and site_url context settings. At that point you’ll be able to access resources in your second context.

MODX_API_MODE does nothing.

If you can be more specific about what you’d like to do, perhaps we can help guide you in the right direction.

1 Like

Hi, Mark. There used to be an API mode, but I see in the docs maybe it’s been removed.

I’m trying to have an API mode context for doing API only operations through ajax calls. If I hit a script on the web context I get HTML encapsulated responses that are not compatible with the JS parser. It’s expecting raw JSON responses.

Maybe I need to downgrade MODX to a previous version that supports API mode?

I don’t quite understand how routing has anything to do with putting an entire context in API mode. I was previously able to simply specify that I wanted MODX_API_MODE to be true, then the MODX engine would only return raw responses without HTML encapsulations.

Did that completely change?

There’s MODX_API_MODE in the deprecated example here:

You don’t need that anymore, you can load the MODX object as per the first example.

The routing would be so you can use a context other than the default one.

Right, so I pasted that code into a snippet and I get an HTML encapsulated response, because the context loaded is web…so I fail to understand how it’s useful unless you create a folder and file outside of MODX.

The point of contexts is to switch the operating mode, right? So, do I switch the operating mode to API mode on the fly at the context load event? That’s how it should be done from a proper software engineering perspective.

That snippet lets you specify which context you load.
e.g.

$modx->initialize('othercontext');

Contexts can represent different websites, or variations of websites such as different languages.

You’re talking about HTML encapsulation, so I assume you’re attempting to get the output of a particular resource? If so, you can change the way it’s served via the resource content_type field.

Ahh, the example shows web context to I assumed that you had to pass it that for it to function. I’ll try it with the other context key I created.

Thank you for the eye opener. it’s been a long day.

1 Like