Are Template Variables Reuable?

That’s usually caused by pasting text from something like MS Word, that uses “curly quotes,” but it could also be caused by a mismatch between the character set specified in core/config/config.inc.php and the character set of your database.

If you look at the structure tab in PhpMyAdmin, you can see the character set. Each table has it’s own character set, as does each text field. The SiteCheck extra will check them all against the MODX charset for you (and a lot more), but you can also do it by eyeballing them.

I know what you’re talking about with using Word, but I write HTML directly in MODX so that’s couldn’t be it. The character set is set to utf8mb4 which is pretty standard these days. The backend uses it too, plus, the database is also set: charset=utf8mb4.

I’m a little concerned, but I’ll keep an eye on it and will let you know if it happens again. I’m about to go live with the site in the next few days so we’ll see how it does. It’s the second time I’ve had to reinstall it. Can I still downgrade to 2.x if needed?

I checked out your site and I like it!! I like the design a lot. I’m also going to try your bread recipe!

Are you editing things in the Manager, or in a code editor? You may need to set the charset of the code editor.

Did you check the charset of the individual tables and text fields inside them for the tables holding the text (e.g. the site content, chunk and template tables)?

I don’t think there is an (easy) way to go back to MODX 2.x from MODX 3.

If you are unsure about MODX 3, then it’s probably better at the current time to build your site with MODX 2.8.4.

In the Manager, directly into the textarea, I don’t have an editor installed.

I only checked the ones dealing with the site content and see they are all set to utf8mb4. It would be a good idea for me to also check the chuck and template tables as well. I’ll do that today. I mean, unless the installation script itself was set to a character set other than utf8mb4, I can’t imagine how it would change.

I’m thinking if I see anymore corruption, I will look at every one of them. Right now, I’m editing and saving stuff in MODX and so far I haven’t seen anymore corruption. It only seemed to affect quotes, not text.

Thank you for that Harry. I think you’re right, now that I don’t have much content on 3.x would be the best time to downgrade. I really like the look of 3.x though and would like to stay on it for a little while. The only thing that concerns me is that even with corruption the site continued to function relatively normally. It was by happenstance that I made the correlation between the corruption and the tab not showing.

I’ll have to check out how to get the error log to output all errors. I’m not getting anything at all in my log now, it’s completely clean.

I’m curious, can you please tell me what a deprecated call is, and its purpose for being saved?